I have realized recently the drab information on my blog leaves much to be desired… Needless to say I have come to rectify the situation.
Something has come to my attention recently. Thoughts often float into my mind at the oddest times, and for those that know me, let’s just say that this one was no different. But the thought stayed with me for several days and through editing of my next block buster (small plug). Out with it then right?
Screen Door’s.
When one thinks of screen doors they are thought of as handy and somewhat unattractive things but they remain attached to our doors for their usefulness.
Recently a child was tearing mine apart, and I scolded the child and left the problem be since it was not my child and the last thing I want to do is show my ‘dragon lady’ self to someone who doesn’t know me that well… lol.
I recall having a conversation with a parent about how things such as sliding screen doors are unimportant. Well yes I agreed, children are one of a kind and therefore far more important. Aside for the cost of replacing a screen door I agree (still I would rather not have to pay for a new one just because a short person found nothing better to do...)
Well here I am listening to someone complaining about the destructiveness of their child (weeks later) and the thought came to me… what about the screen door? After all how do we teach children to respect our property and their own for that matter? So often now in our society parents buy and re-buy broken toys, lost toys, toys that get run over by daddy’s car, you get the idea. I have been called mean more than once in my life that I am not on the same train headed for continual toy renewal. (That is usually the parents, kids tend to not complain to me)
Well the screen door explained it all to me.
Ready? We need to teach our children to take care of EVERYTHING! Paper, plastic, wood, metal why should it matter? Why should our children of any age be allowed to destroy something simply because it was given to them? Near them? For that matter why should we reward them when they have broken things? most often they are quite able to understand the consequences(after the age2-3, oh yes they can…) of their actions. (ie... if you leave your bike behind daddy's car likely one of two things will happen, it will get stolen or driven over in the morning... besides isn't it a rule to put your stuff away yet?)
You are going to love this, since, an example came to mind as well. Ancient artifacts, pyramids, cathedrals. What do they all have in common? Aside from age… and they were all handmade. They were all respected for years often times centuries without abuse. Why is that? Is it possible that children were raised to respect other people’s property at a young age? What if those children were raised by the parents of today? Instead of beautiful hieroglyphs we would have graffiti all over the pyramids, temples and walls. What if these children grew tired of them, or thought it would be fun to skateboard all over the hand laid tiles, carve their names in the backs of the old church benches, or shredded the lovely paintings that now adorn our museums. (oh wait that is already happening...)
These things, these possessions are not valuable simply because of the canvas or wood they were made with. Even the tools used to create them hold no particular meaning. It is the life that created them that we value, the life that is likely no longer with us, representing the ones that have gone before.
Now I know that screen doors and dollar tree finds hardly compare to Picasso, but how do we teach our next generation to honor the people before us? It is so simple, we teach them with the small and simple things that we brake, I mean, use everyday. We explain our regret over the loss of the item and live without it long enough for the person or persons involved to realize that life without a screen door equals flies on you sandwich.
It is my particular joy then, as I swat away the fly from my own plate to remind the entire family what a real blessing a screen door can be when the ofore mentioned item is, in fact, qualified for the job title given.
More granules of wisdom coming your way when I find another brain cell to share.(LOL)
Later all, s
3 comments:
Wonderful insight! I most definitely agree. I wish I could write more, but it is time for the morning beating of the children. (Tee hee!)
Girl you hit the nail right on the head. In fact you almost had me in tears. I am up for more child beatings as well. I can't seem to keep a blind wand in my house. You know, the thing that opens and shuts the blinds in a window? Oh it is on! I am not replacing it again for a long time in the girls room. We will see what happens then.
Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Stacey Smek.
A broken screen door and a repressed Dragon Lady? Wow, kudos for your patience and tenacity (with those pesky flies).
I agree, it's a big problem. We've developed the "Bank of Dad" to teach our Farmers the value of money/goods with real-life consequences. When things are put in terms that they can not only understand, but feel the effects of, lessons are learned and with any luck, respect gained.
Go ahead, have a soap box moment. It's nice to know I'm not the only Dragon Lady in town.
~Stacey
Post a Comment