Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Old Quilt

You know I was having a moment. ( For those that don't know that is me saying I was bummed out) :)

Anyway, I was lying on my bed and looking at more poor ratty quilt. I remembered the day I got the quilt, It was crisp and clean. The colors were bright, the white gleamed, it was perfect.

It hit me then that we as people are like this quilt, we come into the world fresh and new, we get knocked around by life, we get marks and scars that can be repaired but they never go completely away. They change us. A tear in a quilt can be sewn but the stiching always shows.

Our lives are like that too. We have choices all the time that leave stiching in us. But is it just me that loves that ratty quilt the most? When I want to comfort myself or keep warm it is my ratty quilt I drag all over my house, and life.

I feel sorry for the family and friends that have replaced my ratty quilt ;) I love them so much though. so i guess that makes up for wearing them out ;)

And so my poor quilt is coming to the end of its years, like I am certain too. I can see how I will be covered in wrinkles, bruises, and likely have hair in places I can only imagine (lol) but the day will come that my family and friends will look at me like I am looking at this old quilt. Remembering all the times I kept them warm, all the times I comforted them. They will come to see my flaws and my stiching as part of what makes me valuable on this earth.

When the time comes that I am no longer in their lives I will be missed just like my quilt. I am so thankful to everyone who has sheltered me, loved me and tolorated each and every one of my stiches while I was learning to be who I am.

Love Stacey

No comments: